Jefferson Parish Sheriff's deputy injured during auto chase

Jefferson Parish Sheriff's deputy injured during auto chase

Once they reached the south shore, Jefferson Parish deputies took up the chase, which brought them across the Huey P. Long Bridge.

Deputies deployed a robot to the crash site and used the device to monitor Garcie's movements on their iPads. The man dropped his weapon and surrendered after speaking with his mother, who came to the scene, and a team of negotiators that joined dozens of law enforcement officers.

That man was identified as 41-year-old Christopher Kent Garcie, according to Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand. "We wanted to bring this to a successful conclusion by trying to talk him out of this particular situation".

Garcie has been booked with four counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of aggravated flight. Causeway police spotted him on the bridge and chased him into Jefferson Parish. Normand said officers and the perpetrator exchanged gunfire several times during the chase. He then told the woman she was being arrested for prostitution and bound her hands with zipties and duct tape. "He avoided them on numerous occasions during this chase", said authorities. "He was gonna have his way with her and spooked and left that location", Smith said, adding the woman was "lucky to be alive".

Garcy was taken away by ambulance with minor injuries.

But she managed to escape, allegedly jumping from the vehicle before calling 911.

Normand said an officer suffered a graze wound to the finger during the shootout.

Police said a woman met Garcy on the internet and agreed to a date.

Around 500 bullets were fired last night before a multi-parish police chase ended with a kidnapping suspect surrendering to police.

"It was not a high speed chase", Normand said, putting the speeds at about 40 miles per hour. He was shot three times during the incident. "We could see that he was waving a pistol out of the vehicle as well as his cellphone".

- Garcie finally surrendered at about 11:20 p.m.

Mandeville PD officials said two of their officers are on the scene, as well as SWAT. There, another shootout and a standoff began, during which Garcie again fired at officers and then sustained three non-life-threatening gunshots to his side and back.

Authorities said Garcie's criminal history includes prior arrests for forcible rape, aggravated assault, simple battery and violation of a protective order.